Login
Get your free website from Spanglefish

Minutes 2020

 

Minute of Meeting of Elie and Royal Burgh of Earlsferry Community Council held on 4th February 2020 in Elie Sailing Club

Present:  Mark Dickson (Chair), Angela Anderson, Patricia Ritchie, Shelagh Mackay, Angus Meldrum, Sandy Bingham, Grizelda Cowan.

Councillors Linda Holt, Bill Porteous and John Docherty.

Apologies: Jim Robertson

Declarations of interest: Mark and Grizelda both stated a personal interest into the proposed development at the Grange site and Sandy and Shelagh in connection with their planning applications.

Police report: Police reported no crimes recorded. Four people have applied to participate in the Speedwatch program. Trying to get a ‘Pop up Bob’ but one is injured at moment. Plan to target lorries and busses which appear to be regular speed offenders. The sensor on the speed light appears to be defective – should turn red when limit is exceeded – this will be attended to.

January minutes - proposed by Shelagh, seconded by Trisha.

UPDATE FROM CHAIR

Funding of up to £10k is available from SNH for coastal improvements – closing date is end of February. For more information go to https://www.nature.scot/professional-advice/land-and-sea-management/managing-access-and-recreation/increasing-participation/snh-and-year-coasts-and-waters-2020-ycw2020-0

BT has indicated their intention to remove red phone box from beside Toll Green. CC agreed that it should be adopted and put to community use as, for example, a place for siting a defibrillator, book exchange. Any other suggestions are welcome.

COMCOL – meeting/workshop will take place on 8th February.

Mark and Angus met with representatives from Fife Planning Department to discuss application for major development. FC is aware of the decision by SEPA to withdraw their objection with regard to overflow, drainage for proposed houses. Angus noted a perceived contradiction in this decision. Planning department will look into our concerns concerning existing over flow problems including problems with broken waste water pipe on beach below School Wynd. Mark to list all our all our concerns,. Scottish Water are still investigating possibility of improving whole system but nothing confirmed yet.

Meeting was reminded of training opportunities for CC members 20th/27th February at Fife House. Applications should be made on line.

UDATES FOM COUCILLORS

Cllr John Docherty reported that FC has agreed to reinstate disabled ramp to beach at the end of the gardens at The Toft.

Cllr Linda Holt informed CC that a meeting is planned to decide which roads and pathways in Fife need attention. They have no record of broken pavements and as there are several in Elie and Earlsferry this will be attended to. The meeting identified Ferry Road as in particular need of repair/upgrading.

Cllr Bill Porteous reported a delay in decision re siting of new O2/Vodafone mast as  there is now more concentration of providing 5G in cities.

Consultation on Freedom Camping has received positive feedback and intention is to start pilot scheme in April.

Bill met with representative from SUSTRANS and FC to conduct feasibility study for implementation of cycle path form Elie to St Monans.

QUESTIONS FROM PUBLIC

It has been noted that fences are being erected in Elie Estate which appear to be blocking off the popular track which goes beside the loch and straight past the boathouse and that signs for core path directs walkers ‘inland’. It was decided that Mark should email Alex Nairn to ask for clarification.

It has been noted that gates along the old railway line towards new Dumbarnie Golf Course are either locked or signed ‘No Entry’. It was felt that as construction has now finished the right of way to the Coastal Path should not be restricted. Bill Porteous has emailed Dumbarnie Golf Course to request that access be reinstated.

With regard to broken sewage pipe on beach below School Wynd Angus has contacted Fife Council requesting urgent repairs. General concern was expressed about the frequency of this emergency system being in action with raw sewage being emptied into the sea and, at very low tides, on to the beach. Angus to contact Scottish Water and SEPA with our concerns.

With regard to the problem of dog mess in village an email has been sent to the main two letting agents requesting that they ask all dog owning tenants to be extra vigilant.  Elie Select has replied with assurances that they will continue to urge their dog owning tenants to be responsible.  CC is to consider the possibility of siting dog poo bag dispensers round the village.

Sally Brown from Easter Grangemuir Farm requested permission to sell strawberries on Toll Green. It was decided that we ask for more information with regard to her request before commenting. But it was generally felt that there might be serious health risk in selling uncovered food on the Green and that local shops would be opposed to the plan. Grizelda to action.

INFRASTRUCTURE/REPAIRS

It was noted with pleasure that some street signs have been painted. Others still need attention.

There is still a need to address problem of parking bays outside Earlsferry Town Hall – there appears to be an extra unnecessary disabled bay.

There are now double yellow lines outside Ship Inn as requested but there is still confusion as to how far along these should extend and with regard to the problem of painting yellow line on the road when it is covered in sand.

The bollards at Chapel Green and the bollards and sign outside Elie House are still broken.

Street lights on road down to Toft appear to work only occasionally. This has already been reported and it is expected that it will be attended to with some urgency.

Flooding at bottom of Castwell Wynd has been reported to FC.

PLANNING ISSUES

Nothing of concern reported

TREASURER’S REPORT

Payment of £497 has come through.

Cllr Linda Holt informed meeting of a fund set up with cash to be divided between floral groups and suggested that we should check to see if E & E are on list of proposed recipients. *

BEACH ISSUES AND BEACH GROUP

A claim has been made to the Common Good Fund for cost of the fencing. Local resident Bob Duff has agreed to pay for the difference in cost if there is a shortfall.

A request has been made that seaweed should be removed from Harbour Beach twice a year in April and November. There are on-going discussions as where best to put it. Local farmers will be contacted to see if it can be spread on fields and a suggestion was made that moving it to a low tide point in the hope that it would wash out to sea.

As part of the Road Traffic Management Plan speed restriction signs were proposed along The Toft along with speed bump markings and possibly a pedestrian crossing. Also planned are three defined routes to Harbour Beach to include a disability ramp. Other suggestions made include reducing the front line of the dunes and the creation of tunnels under the causeway.

Date of next meeting Tuesday 3rd March, Sailing Club 7.30pm.

 

* Since meeting it has been confirmed that E & E are not on FC’s list of recipients for a floral grant but that there is still time to apply for this.

..................................................................................................

Minute of Meeting of Elie and Royal Burgh of Earlsferry Community Council held on 7th January 2020 in Elie Sailing Club

 

Present:  Mark Dickson (Chair), Angela Anderson, Patricia Ritchie, Shelagh Mackay, Angus Meldrum, Sandy Bingham, Grizelda Cowan.

Councillors Linda Holt, Bill Porteous and John Docherty.

From Fife Coast and Countryside Trust: Robbie Blyth and Jeremy Harris

Apologies: Jim Robertson

 

Presentation from Robbie Blyth

Robbie presented the consultation draft document, Freedom Camping which addresses issues concerning campervan parking at Ruby Bay Car Park. It is hoped that this report will stimulate national interest and debate and that Fife will take a leading role throughout Scotland in finding ways to manage this national challenge. Robbie stressed that the aim is not to make money but to find a satisfactory way of controlling the motorhomes :  

 

Freedom Camping - Options Paper on Motorhome Use in Fife - Consultation Draft

In response to pressing concerns expressed by community groups in Fife and in consultation with Fife Council, Fife Coast & Countryside Trust (FCCT) have compiled an options paper to consider pressures arising from the increase of Motorhome users across Fife. The draft paper highlights challenges, opportunities, and risks with potential options for the future. We would be pleased to have your views and ideas on any of its contents by January 31st, 2020: https://d1ssu070pg2v9i.cloudfront.net/pex/fcct/2020/01/07105859/Freedom-Camping-Options-Paper-on-Motorhome-Use-in-Fife.pdf

Comments can be fed back to:

Email: ask.us@fifecountryside.co.uk  (please add Motorhome Consultation to the subject)
Telephone: 01592 656080
Address: FCCT (Motorhome Consultation) Hotpot Wynd, Dysart, Fife, KY12TQ

 

For anyone wishing to see a hard copy of the document copies can be read at Elie Library.

CC expressed thanks to Robbie for the production of such a thorough and comprehensive document and expressed a wish that all residents take time to read it and report back with any comments/suggestions.

 

Declarations of interest: Mark and Grizelda both stated a personal interest into the proposed development at the Grange site and Sandy Bingham and Shelagh in connection with their planning applications.

 

Police report: police reported having received 9 calls but no crimes reported.

 

November minutes proposed by Trisha, seconded by Sandy

 

UPDATE FROM CHAIR

Mark noted that the village enjoyed a very busy Christmas and New Year period. Well done and thanks were expressed to Fayre Day Group for Advent Windows, Carols on the Green, Santa’s Grotto and fabulous decorations and Christmas tree on Toll Green

Earlsferry Town Hall also had a busy season with well attended concert and film shows.

COMCOL will be holding a seminar and workshop on 8th February, at which suggested projects will be discussed, including: future of Toll Green, including Toll Green Hall, possible golf museum & heritage trail and proposed improvements to harbour area.

Opportunity for a representative to give an update on Earlsferry Town Hall

There is a training opportunity for CC members on 20th February – an email has been circulated to all members.

 

QUESTIONS FROM PUBLIC

The perennial problem of dog mess throughout village came up again. It was noted that there are 2 new poo bins on the golf course on the track down to West Bay. It is presumed that these have been installed by the Golf Club and, although it was thought to be a good idea concern was expressed that they were not emptied during the Christmas period. We agreed to keep an eye on them in the hope that this was a one-off problem. Cllr John Docherty reminded the meeting that all reports of dog fouling should be made to Safer Communities with a picture of the offending dog – not its owner – as evidence – call 01592 583642 or on line - https://online.fifedirect.org.uk/formFinder/index.cfm?fuseaction=form.Question&Form_id=18A15B38-FC50-6796-20ED271BC3114407. A fine of £80 can be imposed.

It was noted by Angus that the number of dogs in the village significantly increases during the busy holiday periods and suggested that we might impose a levy of £20 on all visiting dogs but this was considered impractical. It was decided that we should write a letter to all known letting agencies asking them to ask their tenants with dogs to behave responsibly. Grizelda to action.

It was also noted that several of the bins in the villages were overflowing during the Christmas period. These were emptied after a request was made to Fife Council. If anyone notices an overflowing bin they can call 01592 5500 22 Ext 4 and it will be seen to with some urgency

It was reported that that village entrance sign opposite the entrance to Elie House is damaged and a request was made to FC that it be re-installed and that the 20MPH sign be moved approx. 20m closer to the village.

 

PLANNING

It was noted that a decision has been made by FC that, from 6th January, all comments on line re planning applications will not be available for public view till closing date of application. There is some puzzlement as to reasons for this decision. Cllr Linda Holt is to look into and report back at next meeting.

 

BEACH ISSUES AND BEACH GROUP

Fencing at Earlsferry end of the dunes was to start today 7th January but high winds has made it necessary to postpone till Thursday 9th. Elmwood students to take some marram grass form the harbour area and replant by Castwell Wynd, Earlsferry.

A claim will be made to the Common Good Fund for cost of the fencing.

At a meeting held on 10th December a request was made that seaweed be removed – there are on-going discussions re where to put it. SNH to be contacted to discover where they used to put it in the past. Angela to action.

Angus met with Andrew Ovenstone after meeting to discuss dunes and passage to harbour beach opposite Andrew’s house. It was agreed that he should be invited to next CC meeting to discuss all issues concerning dunes and passage. The passage is not recorded as a right of way. Angela will progress application for it to be considered as such – to contact Sarah Johnson of FC.

Cllr Jon Docherty to investigate establishing/reinstating disabled access to Harbour Beach

 

 

Date of next meeting Tuesday 4th February, Sailing Club 7.30pm.

 

with your text

Click for Map
site map | cookie policy | privacy policy | accessibility statement